Our future and that of the Kogi indians are in our hands. It is our responsibility, as human beings, to take action, to give to others, for the future of all mankind.
The Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta – a biodiversity hotspot !
A mountainous pyramid surrounded by sea and desert, the Sierra Nevada range was formed even earlier than the Andes. The unique geology of the range has made it a wildlife haven, harbouring numerous endemic species.
The range plays a key role in supplying water to the 1.2 million inhabitants who live in the surrounding area. However, deforestation has lead to the destruction of 72 % of the Sierra’s primary forest.
The Sierra is also a biodiversity hotspot, with 35 % of national bird species, as well as 7 % of all living species on the planet. Numerous species are in danger of extinction due to climate change, deforestation and animal trafficking.
Tchendukua works in close collaboration with the indigenous population of the Sierra, developping reforestation and biodiversity programmes, based upon the Kogis ancestral knowledge, allowing the recuperation of vast surfaces of tropical forest, as well as the preservation of existing forest zones.
Developed and implemented with the Kogi indians, the programmes enable the reconstitution of zones of particularly damaged tropical forest, as well as the preservation of an agro-forestry heritage and community know-how.
Help us protect 7 extremely endangered species, through a programme in association with the Nativa Foundation.
- Recuperation, via the colombian customs and police, of exotic animals captured for animal trafficking
- Renovation of a nature reserve dedicated to exotic animals, as well as the development of educational and tourist activity
- Reintroduction of animals into their natural habitat, on the land restituted to the Kogi indians
- 2 year project
- Start date – February 2013
- Budget – 140 000 €
- Project in partnership with the Nativa Foundation: www.nativa.org
The 7 endangered species
- Sapo Arlequin, Atelopus laetissimus
- Paujil colombiano, Crax Alberti
- Danta o tapir, Tapirus terrestris
- Jaguar, Pantera onca
- Loro Serrano, Pyrrhura viridicata
- Raton Serrano, Santamartamys ruphodorsalis
- Mariposa Serrana, Morpho rhodopteron nevadensis
Tchendukua is currently working to finance this project
Les autres projets
How you can help us in this adventure
Operation Carré Vert (Green square)
One of Tchendukua's primary objectives: Land restitution to the Kogi indians...
Offer a book or a DVD...
Offer an original and meaningful gift.
Make a donation
Make a donation in order to support Tchendukua's projects.
Plant a tree
Plant a tree on the land bought and returned to the Kogi indians.
Distribute information and communication tools in your area and on the internet.
Become a member
Help us to continue this adventure by becoming a member and encouraging others to become members...